How to Object to, or Support, a Planning Application

Anyone is entitled to object to any planning application. Equally you may wish to lend your support and every planning application is considered and determined having regard to the Development Plan and any other material considerations. The Development Plan includes National and Regional Planning Guidance, the County Structure Plan or Unitary Development Plan, Local Plans and any supplementary planning guidance.  You may have a social, political, environmental or purely personal concern about a particular development proposal, but to be effective any objection or supporting statements must focus upon the ‘planning merits’ of the case. These would include the relevant planning policies applicable to the property and area concerned, as well as consideration of such matters as the impact of the scheme upon the local environment, highways issues, nature conservation, flood risk and many more detailed issues.

  1. 1.        SHOULD I OBJECT / SUPPORT?

You may have received a letter from your Council notifying you of a nearby development proposal, spotted an application notification posted on the site or in the local paper, or even been asked to join an action group. Maybe your neighbour has let you know he is making a planning application. What should you do?

Clearly, if you are not concerned about the proposal there is no need to do anything. But it is worth giving some momentary thought to the matter. The proposal on its own might not be objectionable but will it set a precedent? If your reaction is one of concern take a moment to stand back and think about your reasoning. The fact you do not like your neighbour is insufficient to justify an objection.

To stand a chance of being taken seriously by the Council any objection or support must be rational, impersonal and directed principally to the planning issues raised by the proposal.


When a planning application is submitted it is processed by the planning department within a set procedure. Applications are usually dealt with within 8 weeks of submission, but delays do occur for a variety of reasons. Once the application is accepted as valid by the Council a series of consultation letters are sent out to a range of Statutory Consultees (such as the Highways Department, Environmental Health, English Heritage etc) which vary depending upon the individual proposal. These consultees are required to respond within 21 days with their comments on the application.

Public participation in planning is increasingly sought by the Government and modern technology will assist further in ensuring you are aware of what is happening in your area. The actual procedure for your Council is established in their Standing Orders.


All too often objections are submitted which are based on an incorrect understanding of the application. The first step must be to inspect the application and understand it. You may review the application at your Councils’ planning department or increasingly review the application online through the Council’s website. Each application is allocated a discrete planning reference number – it may look something like this x/x/2007/12345/FUL. If you know the number, then ask for the application details by reference to that number. Otherwise make sure you have the address of the property.

You will be allowed to inspect the application forms, plans, drawings and other information submitted by the applicant. You may not be allowed to view the responses from consultees or other objectors, although increasingly these are published online. The planning department will outline the areas of objection and support in their report to the planning committee.

Consider the application carefully. You can usually discuss the application with a Duty Planning Officer so that any technical details can be better appreciated. You can make notes and may also be able to purchase copies of the application (but probably not any plans as these will be copyright).

Review the Local Plan policy. The Council will have copies of their Local Plan available either to view or purchase. This may take a bit of reading but will almost certainly contain policies that have a bearing upon the application. Do they support or deter the proposal? You may wish to refer to relevant policies in your letter of objection / support.

Check the planning history of the property. This may be going a bit far for most domestic applications, but sometimes the property may have been subject to prior refusals/ approvals that will have a bearing upon the matter


You’ve considered the application, reviewed the options and still wish to make representations. Next step is to write down your concerns / supporting points and send them to the Council Planning Department. There is usually a Case Officer or Area Group allocated to deal with the application, but if you cannot discover the exact person then just send your letter to the Planning Department. Always try and include the Planning Reference Number and location of the property. Again, some authorities now accept online submissions via the planning pages of the Council’s website.

Set out your comments logically and in a straightforward manner. Personal comments about the applicant are rarely helpful and imply the objection is personal rather than based upon the planning issues. Keep it brief. Long or rambling commentary is unhelpful. If you wish to include other information then you can do so. Photographs are often helpful to illustrate to the Council your particular concerns. If there is a particular matter that you believe requires the Planning Officer inspecting personally, from your property, then ask him to make a visit.

You will usually be asked to make your objection within the 21-day consultation period established at the outset of the planning application. However, you can submit objections / supporting statements right up to the moment the application is considered. The later you leave it though the less chance there is of the Council really giving your comments due consideration.


Larger applications may take some time to determine. It is worthwhile asking your Council if they can keep you informed of progress. Once you are logged as an objector / supporter most Council’s today will notify you of any material alterations. Any significant changes to an application may have to be re-advertised and sent out for further consultation. Check to see how the application will be handled. There is an increasing trend toward the use of Officers Delegated Powers, where the application is determined by the Officers, rather than going to a full planning committee.


You are entitled to attend any planning committee meeting to hear the applications being considered by the Council. Committees are usually held on a monthly basis, but may be more frequent depending upon the Council workload. Committee dates are usually posted in the Council Offices and can be checked with the Council’s Committee Clerks Department or the planning department, or online. Increasingly the public is being allowed to speak at committee meetings and each Council adopts their own procedure for this. In most cases you will need to notify the Council in advance of your intention to speak. Check with the Planning Department or Committee Clerks office about the procedure adopted in your particular Council.

The Chairman will invite those who have registered to speak to address the committee from a suitable position in the Council Chamber. Two or three minutes are common time periods allowed for individual public address to the committee and are strictly controlled. Keep your comments simple, keep them to the point and avoid personal jibes. The committee is only interested in the planning merits of your comments and how they relate to the application.

In our experience as a planning consultant the most effective objector is always the cool, calm and collected representative of personal or local opinion, who has done their homework and presents a logical planning case against (or for) the proposal under consideration.

If you do not wish to speak yourself you can arrange for someone to do this on your behalf, but this must be made clear to the committee. If you are representing other people you should ensure you have their permission for you to speak on their behalf. This may be requested by the committee to prove you have other people’s permission. A letter of authority would be useful. Group objections / supporters wishing to say much the same thing are generally encouraged to group their comments together with one or two speakers only, but you may be able to negotiate more time per speech as a result.


  • Investigate the application and associated planning policy
  • Consider helpful amendments / modifications
  • Consider discussing the application to resolve problems
  • Write down and send your concerns to the Council as soon as possible
  • Monitor the application
  • Attend the committee to hear the decision
  • Consider addressing the committee
  • Keep all comments to the point, impersonal and related to the planning issues
  • Make sure you have other people’s permission to speak on their behalf
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.


Comments are closed.